I know you’re not too excited about the thought of snow and winter weather coming, BUT IT IS! Before you know it we’ll have overnight freezing temps and slippery roads. There are a few items you need to take care of like your tires, battery and wiper blades just to name a few.
1. Tires – Many people wait until the first major snow to find out they need new tires. The last time you want to find out is when you are stranded on a side road. Tire wear on front wheel drive vehicles is something to look at, you may just need to rotate your tires to get ready. Some of you though will need new tires all around and there is no better time to find out than right now.
2. Battery’s – Is your car battery 3-5 years old? Do you hear a tiny hesitation right now when starting your car? Well, that tiny hesitation can turn into a dead battery in 10 degree weather. Cold weather takes it’s toll on car battery and what seems like an OK battery now can be a completely dead one in the midst of a cold day.
3. Wipers - Below you’ll see a video from a customers car last winter. He waited until it was too late to get new wipers. He could not see and looked like Ace Ventura the Pet Detective driving with his head out the window when he pulled in our shop. It’s a VERY EASY fix that will save you a lot of aggravation.
4. Anti-Freeze -Your antifreeze is an essential part of your car’s winter protection. Your car contains a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze. Make sure the level is full and the mixture is close to 50/50. It’s also a good idea to make sure your antifreeze is new and has not been sitting in your car for years.
5. Lights – Yes lights. Turn signals, brake lights and of course headlights play an even more pivotal role in the winter. Our nights are longer and many times your lights have snow covering them. So make sure that everything is in working order to avoid any car accidents.